Olympics: Carlos Nuzman announces resignation to Brazilian OC_Sports_Asia Pacific Daily

To download APD News app

1. Please scan the QR Code 2. Download and install APD News App

Olympics: Carlos Nuzman announces resignation to Brazilian OC

Sports2017-10-12

Carlos Nuzman's resignation as Brazilian Olympic Committee (BOC) chairman, following his arrest in a 2-million-US-dollar vote-rigging scandal, was made official on Oct. 11. Nuzman's lawyer read out a statement at the BOC's extraordinary general meeting in which the 75-year-old confirmed the news he himself had announced on Saturday. He was arrested last Thursday in Rio de Janeiro as part of a probe into allegations he helped buy votes from the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to secure Rio's hosting of the 2016 Games. The IOC responded on Friday by suspending the BOC and stripping Nuzman of his honorary membership, while also removing him from the coordination committee for the 2020 Tokyo Games. Carlos Nuzman detained in‍ Rio de Janeiro/AFP photo He has been held in prison ever since his arrest. "Given the necessity to totally dedicate myself to my right to defend myself, I resign completely from my position as Brazilian Olympic Committee chairman and as honorary member of the general assembly," Nuzman said in a letter read by his lawyer Sergio Mazzillo at the EGM, called last week after the IOC suspended the BOC. Nuzman had already released a statement from prison on Saturday, but dated Friday, resigning from his position. Brazilian officials said last month Nuzman was the "lynchpin" in a plot to bribe the IOC into awarding Rio the Games. At the time, Nuzman was detained and questioned and authorities confiscated his passport. Authorities allege that former Rio governor Sergio Cabral, who is serving a 14-year prison term for bribery and money laundering, masterminded the plot. Investigators believe 2 million US dollars in bribes was paid to Papa Massata Diack, the son of Senegalese IOC member and former world athletics chief Lamine Diack, before the 2009 vote, won by Rio. Businessman Arturo Soares, nicknamed "King Arthur," a top contractor for Cabral's administration, allegedly delivered the payment three days before the vote. Rio beat bids from Chicago, Madrid and Tokyo to host the 2016 Games. (AFP)

Carlos Nuzman's resignation as Brazilian Olympic Committee (BOC) chairman, following his arrest in a 2-million-US-dollar vote-rigging scandal, was made official on Oct. 11.

Nuzman's lawyer read out a statement at the BOC's extraordinary general meeting in which the 75-year-old confirmed the news he himself had announced on Saturday.

He was arrested last Thursday in Rio de Janeiro as part of a probe into allegations he helped buy votes from the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to secure Rio's hosting of the 2016 Games.

The IOC responded on Friday by suspending the BOC and stripping Nuzman of his honorary membership, while also removing him from the coordination committee for the 2020 Tokyo Games.

 Carlos Nuzman detained in‍ Rio de Janeiro/AFP photo

Carlos Nuzman detained in‍ Rio de Janeiro/AFP photo

He has been held in prison ever since his arrest.

"Given the necessity to totally dedicate myself to my right to defend myself, I resign completely from my position as Brazilian Olympic Committee chairman and as honorary member of the general assembly," Nuzman said in a letter read by his lawyer Sergio Mazzillo at the EGM, called last week after the IOC suspended the BOC.

Nuzman had already released a statement from prison on Saturday, but dated Friday, resigning from his position.

Brazilian officials said last month Nuzman was the "lynchpin" in a plot to bribe the IOC into awarding Rio the Games.

At the time, Nuzman was detained and questioned and authorities confiscated his passport.

Authorities allege that former Rio governor Sergio Cabral, who is serving a 14-year prison term for bribery and money laundering, masterminded the plot.

Investigators believe 2 million US dollars in bribes was paid to Papa Massata Diack, the son of Senegalese IOC member and former world athletics chief Lamine Diack, before the 2009 vote, won by Rio.

Businessman Arturo Soares, nicknamed "King Arthur," a top contractor for Cabral's administration, allegedly delivered the payment three days before the vote.

Rio beat bids from Chicago, Madrid and Tokyo to host the 2016 Games.

(AFP)

Hot Recommended

  • Researchers discover flaw that makes Wi-Fi vulnerable to hacks

  • Chinese warships visit London for the first time

  • Experts: Bali volcano "more than likely" to erupt

  • NYC Empire State Building shines for Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival

  • Yuan gets more international recognition despite volatility

  • Poems and songs to make a graceful Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival